Know How to delete .locky file extension easily
.locky file extension is a data-encryption ransomware that secretly sneaks in the targeted PC and starts encrypting the personal files of the user. This is a version of TeslaCrypt version with so many added features. The major difference is that the file encrypted by Teslcrypt was recoverable as there were potential loopholes in the encryption algorithm but with .locky file extension, the chance of recovering the encrypted file is very less unless you buy the unique decryption key.
How does .locky file extension get inside the PC?
The approach adopted by .locky file extension for its infiltration is very simple. It is introduced in the marked work-station using common delivery methods such as bundling, social engineering tricks, peer-to-peer file sharing networks, suspicious email attachments etc. The phishing email message with the logo of governmental organization often contains zip files attachments with them that contain these ransomware payloads. When you open such file attachment, .locky file extension automatically gets installed without seeking permission. Immediately, it begins a deep scanning process of System hard-disk in the search of files that it can encrypt or lock. The types of files that it can encrypt are basically personal data such as multimedia, MS Office Suite files and so on. The every file that it encrypts, it changes its extension name with “.locky”. The “Shadow Volume Copy” as well as “System Restore Points” is also deleted so that the data recovery of encrypted files becomes totally impossible. The encryption that it asks the victim to buy is saved in the Command and Control Server located in the remote location.
When user tries to access the file with .locky file extension then a text or image file automatically covers the screen. This is a ransom message which demands the victim to pay certain ransom in exchange of the unique decryption key. It asks to pay hundreds of dollars through Bitcoin or other anonymous methods. The real identity of associated cyber-criminal is not revealed. It tries to create panic in user by forcing to pay the money as early as possible. If not then the files will get corrupted permanently. It uses RSA-2048 and AES-128 encryption method in order to lock the targeted file.
It is advisable that you should never pay the ransom money for decrypting .locky file extension. There is no guarantee that you will get the unique decryption key once the ransom is paid. The purpose of cyber-criminals is to make money. In maximum cases, the victim gets cheated because the associated cyber-criminals totally ignore the victims once the payment is made. It is true that it is impossible to access the files locked by .locky file extension without decryption key but there are certain alternate option such as “Backup Files” or “Data Recovery Software”. More than accessing the encrypted files, you must focus on removing all the files and items of .locky file extension so that it could not encrypt any additional files further. Scan your work-station with a powerful anti-malware tool that has powerful scanning algorithm and programming logics to get rid of such malware easily. It you notice its existence in early stage, you might be able to protect your personal files and save some of your files. It is also recommended to fist remove .locky file extension and import data from external backup drive. If you wish to remove .locky file extension manually then you may follow the manual process as mentioned below.
“Note: Our Security Experts at malware-board.com team recommends you to use SpyHunter Anti-Malware Tool. It has the best scanning algorithm and programming logics to deal with these kinds of severe malware threats including Ransomwares. You can also give a try to some other popular anti-malware tools as mentioned below.”
|Malwarebytes antimalware is a decent contender in the list of top antimalware tools. it can be trusted for a decent security aspects to complete the security ends of your PC.||Wipersoft antimalware is another trustworthy tool to keep a PC protected against trending malwares as well and recommended by many security experts.||Plumbytes antimalware can also be a selection of users who are seeking a decent platform to assure their system protected against trending malware threats.|
Methods to uninstall .locky file extension from infected Windows PC
The elimination of .locky file extension and all its related files from infected Windows PC is possible with two popular methods. Below you will get complete description on both processes that will help you get rid of this pesky malware.
Process A: Guide to delete .locky file extension opting Manual removal procedure
Risks associated with Manual removal technique
If you have strong technical skills and excellent knowledge of registry entries and system files then going through this process is best option you can choose to eliminate this nasty threat. But if you are not having enough skills then it can prove risky due to its complex process and lengthy task. A minor change in system settings or missing of any process can make situation worst. It completely damages several important files and makes your computer useless.
Step 1: Boot computer in Safe Mode
- At first you required to restart PC to open boot menu option
- Next, you require to continuously press F8 button until Windows Advanced Option appear on display screen
- Now you need to select “Safe Mode with Networking Option” using arrow key and then press Enter key.
Step 2: Eliminate .locky file extension from Installed browsers
Instructions For Google Chrome
- At first you need to open browser and then click on right top bottom on gear icon. Next select for Tools and then you need to open Extension option
- Now several for .locky file extension associated extension from given list and then click on Trash icon to remove completely from browsers
Reset browser settings
- At first open Chrome and click on gear icon at top right bottom and then select Settings option. Choose for Show Advanced Settings
- Finally click on Reset Settings button option to complete process
Instructions For Firefox
- At first open Firefox and click on wrench bar at top right bottom and then select Add-ons option
- Next go to Extensions option and then select for extension related with .locky file extension and eliminate it
Reset settings of Browser
- Go to top right corner wrench bar icon and then select Help Option
- Next select “Troubleshooting Information” then click on “Refresh Firefox” button from troubleshooting Information page
Instructions For Internet Explorer
- At first you need to open Internet Explorer and then click on Tools menu. Next select Manage Add-ons option from shown list
- Now select Toolbars and Extension from left panel and then select .locky file extension and all its related extension. Finally click on Disable button to eliminate it permanently
Reset Browser Settings
- You need to open Internet Explorer then click on Tools menu then Select Internet Option from given list
- Next Choose for “Advanced Tab” option and then hit on Reset button as shown in image
- Finally mark “Delete Personal Settings” and then click on Reset option
Step 3: End .locky file extension and its associated processes from Task Manager
- To open Windows task manager, you need to press CTRL+ALT+DEL button together
- Next select processes tab to find our all running process
- Finally choose all malicious processes and click on End process button to complete this task
Step 4: Uninstall .locky file extension from Windows using Control Panel
Instructions For Windows XP:
- Go to Start button and then click on Control Panel
- Now Click on Add or Remove Program Option
- Find out .locky file extension and other malicious program and remove it permanently
Instructions For Windows 7 & Vista:
- First click on Start menu option and then open Control panel
- Now go to programs and select Uninstall a programs option
- With given list search for .locky file extension and its related programs and click on uninstall button
Instructions For Windows 8/8.1
- At first go to lower left corner of display screen and then click on Start button
- Now type control panel in search box and then click on it
- Search for infected application and programs installed and uninstall it
Instructions For Windows 10:
- At first go to Start menu and then Search for Control Panel
- Now choose program and Feature option in Control panel Window
- From given list find out .locky file extension and its related programs and Click on Uninstall tab
- Finally, you will get confirmation Windows on computer, Click on Yes and restart PC
Step 5: Remove .locky file extension from Windows Registry Editor
- Press Windows+R key together to open Run
- Next type regedit in search box and click on OK button
- Now search for registry entries that are created by .locky file extension and delete it permanently
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\msseces.exe “Debugger” = ‘svchost.exe’
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\.locky file extension
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings “WarnOnHTTPSToHTTPRedirect” = ’0′
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore “DisableSR ” = ’1′
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\ekrn.exe “Debugger” = ‘svchost.exe’
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\msascui.exe “Debugger” = ‘svchost.exe’
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\.locky file extension
Process B: Automatic Method to delete .locky file extension (Using Spyhunter Anti-Malware)
The use of Spyhunter Malware scanner is one of the best and reliable options you can go through to fix issues related with this threat. Its advance mechanism to detect and eliminate nasty threat from Windows PC provides complete safety to your computer. It has capability to detect for .locky file extension and all kind of other malware such as Trojan, worms, rootkits, backdoor, ransomware, adware and others.
If your Windows PC trapped with .locky file extension and you are unable to deal with issues related with this nasty infection then use of Syhunter Anti-Malware can help you get rid of this trouble. It is an ultimate powerful scanner that comes with so many advanced feature and latest techniques to detect for malign threats. The rich user Interface of this program helps users with less technical skills to complete removal procedure without any hassle. The 4 easy steps removal guide mentioned below will allow you delete .locky file extension instant from Windows PC.
User Guide: Steps to download and run Spyhunter to Uninstall .locky file extension
Step 1: At first you need to Download Spyhunter Anti-Malware and run application
Step 2: Next, you need click on “Scan Computer Now” option as shown in picture
Step 3: It shows detected viruses in thumbnail format with its complete details
Step 4: Finally click on “Fix Threats” button to eliminate all nasty viruses